Sojitz has selected the following Key Sustainability Issues (materiality) .
|Sojitz pursues the development, supply, and use of sustainable resources.
We strive to conserve resources, propose suitable energy mixes and provide a stable supply of resources.
* Includes energy, mineral, food, water, forest, marine and other resources
Sojitz Group Environmental Policy
As a global company, Sojitz Group considers environmental issues a crucial topic to be addressed in management. Striving for a sustainable society, we will work to preserve the environment and prevent pollution in our business activities, while creating businesses that are both highly competitive and environmentally friendly.
resources and reduce/recycle waste
We will engage in curbing the use of natural resources such as energy and water, and the reducing and recycling of waste.
We will promote initiatives for the stable supply of resources and realization of a suitable energy mix.
|Key Sustainability Issues||Sustainability
|Business Area||Planned Approach|
|Resources||Produce and supply resources at risk of depletion in the future||Food resources||We are contributing to securing food resources with a focus on future population growth, principally in the feed production and sales business, which require stable production and quality minantenance, and feed plant construction business.|
|Water resources||Focused on developing countries with an expected increase in demand for water resources, we will strive to establish and expand businesses that provide a stable supply of domestic water.|
|Marine product resources||Making use of the expertise acquired through the marine products business, we will take on the challenge of "whole cultivation," raising adult fish from artificially bred juvenile fish.|
|Forestry resources||Strive for 100% traceability of the wood we handle by FY2020, and in the future, we will aim to ensure that 100% of the wood we handle is produced through suitable, environmentally/socially-conscious forest management.|
United Nations Food Systems Summit (FSS)*1
Sojitz supports the United Nations Food Systems Summit (FSS), which will launch concrete actions to transform food systems*2 to be more sustainable as part of the UN’s efforts to achieve all Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- *1：The UN Food Systems Summit is a summit conceived of by United Nations Secretary-General António Guterres as an essential step to transform food systems to become more sustainable and to achieve the UN’s Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs).
- *2：Food systems refer to the series of activities involved in the production, processing, transport, and consumption of food.
- ?Source: Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries UN FSS
“Sojitz will contribute to the realization of greater sustainability in food systems through its initiatives to provide a stable supply of food resources.”
Goals and Commitments
- ◆Sojitz will lead the way in promoting the spread of MSC-certified sashimi tuna around the world in order to pursue sustainable use of natural fishery resources. MSC certification provides proof that the seafood was caught by a responsible fishery in a sustainable manner.
- ◆In its tuna farming business, Sojitz is committed to sustainable aquaculture and aims to maintain its certification from the Seedling Council for Sustainable Aquaculture (SCSA).
- ◆Sojitz aims to utilize IoT and AI to industrialize tuna farming in order to improve the efficiency of its aquaculture business.